Jump to navigation Jump to search
- For more detailed instructions about Anaconda and Spyder, click here: Installing Software for PHRM 8010 and Basic Programming with Python
- Open Anaconda
- Switch to the PHRM_8010-Python
- Click that is under Click to enlarge
- You should see the following screen. Unlabeled looks like this: Click to enlarge. I labelled it, so that it is easier to talk about:
- Command Bar (top): This is at the top and has pulldowns and commands that you might use.
- Toolbar (second from top): This has icons to do various commands. On the far right is the location of the project.
- Project and Files Explorer (left pane): This is located on the left side. It shows the project directory and the files associated with it.
- Individual Files Explorer (middle pane): The middle pane shows you the individual files that are in the project that are separated by a tab. To put a file in there, double click a file from the Project and Files Explorer.
- Output Explorer (upper right pane): The pane is located on the upper right. There are tabs for help, plots, variable explorer and files.
- Console/History (lower right pane): The pane is located on the lower right. There are a tab for the console, which is the text output for the Python language and Python history.
|New File||File ⇒ New File ...||Windows: Control-N
|This produces a new text file. You need to change the last two characters to py to make a Python language file. For
example, newfile.txt ⇒ newfile.py
|Open File||File ⇒ Open ...||Windows: Control-O
|This command will open a text or a Python language file.|
|Save File||File ⇒ Save||Windows: Control-S
|This command will save the file that is the front of the Individual Files Explorer pane of Spyder. The icon will|
|Save All Files||File ⇒ Save all||Windows: Control-Alt-S
|This command will save all the files in the Individual Files Explorer pane of Spyder. The icon will be grayed out|
|Run File||Run ⇒ Run||Windows: F5
|Run the file that is in the front of the Individual file Explorer pane of the Syder program|
|Remove All Variables||Variable Explorer||Variables get listed her as programs are run. However, it can get very cluttered. Therefore, sometimes you need to delete variables.|
Other Important Icons
|Icon||Location in Spyder||Meaning|
|Individual File Explorer||This icon means that there is an error on the line of the program. If you hover over it, the error will appear|
|Individual File Explorer||This icon means that it is a warning. This will occur if a Python language module, which you will get familiar with later,
or a variable is not used in the Python language program.